In accordance with the presidential decree no. 106 and the regulations regarding the presidential decree no. 418, foreigners who meet the following criteria are granted Turkish citizenship:
- Those who make a fixed capital investment worth a minimum of $500,000 as confirmed by the Ministry of Industry and Technology (before the regulation, the minimum amount was $2,000,000);
- Those who purchase a real estate property worth a minimum of $400,000 with the title deed annotating that the property will not be sold or handed over within the first three years as confirmed by the Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning (before the regulation, the minimum amount was $2,000,000);
- Those who employ a minimum of 50 people, as confirmed by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services (before the regulation, the minimum number was 100 people);
- Those who deposit a minimum of $500,000 for 3 years in the banks operating in Turkey, as confirmed by Council of Bank Audit and Regulation (before the regulation, the minimum amount was $3,000,000);
- Those who buy government bonds worth a minimum of $500,000 provided that they will keep them for the first three years, as confirmed by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance (before the regulation, the minimum amount was $3,000,000);
- Those who buy real estate investment trust share or venture capital investment fund share worth a minimum of $500,000, as confirmed by Capital Markets Bond (before the regulation, the minimum amount was $1,500,000).
The current exchange rate and/or cross exchange rate of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey will be taken into consideration.
Some Principles Regarding Citizenship Acquirement by Fixed Capital Investment
- Fixed capital investment should include assets intended to provide goods and services such as land, building, machinery, and equipment.
- When the foreigner becomes a partner of a business, his or her share must worth at least $500,000.
- Fixed capital investments made before 12.01.2017 do not grant citizenship acquirement rights.
- When calculating the fixed capital expenses for the applications made after 12.01.2017, a maximum of three years of retroactive expenses will be taken into consideration.
- Foreigners who are granted citizenship rights cannot hand over their shares in the first three years.
Some Principles Regarding Citizenship Acquirement by Real Estate Purchase
- Before the regulations, foreigners could only buy completed projects to acquire citizenship. As of 07.12.2018, off-plan properties were included in the citizenship by investment program.
- Condominium must have been built or construction servitude must have been obtained for the real estate to be purchased.
- $400,000 must be paid in cash.
- The payment must be made through the bank.
- Foreigners cannot purchase properties that make up more than 10% of the province’s survey area.
- Foreigners can purchase a maximum of 30 hectares.
- The properties cannot be within the military zone or security zone.
Some Principles Regarding Citizenship Acquirement by Depositing Money in Banks
- The money must be deposited in banks operating in Turkey. A foreign branch of a bank is not accepted.
- Foreigners can benefit from the interests etc. provided that the amount in the bank will not drop below $500,000.
Some Principles Regarding Citizenship Acquirement by Buying Government Bonds
- If the shares’ worth drop below $500,000 due to the fluctuations in the exchange rate when keeping them, the earned right to become a citizen will not be lost.